It's raining sideways outside today. I'm staring out the window, dreading how I still need to get groceries for this weekend. We are having our Thanksgiving dinner on Monday and we are also running in a marathon. I am running an 8K (I know, it's hardly a marathon ) but my husband is running the full 42.195 km. Yowza!
Kyri is fast asleep so I thought I'd take a break with my lists and come edit photos and post a recipe. I made this recipe yesterday morning while Tod and Kyri were dancing and playing. It was my tester recipe before I make the real thing for Thanksgiving. I had an hour to myself to make the dough, cook the apples and put it together.
Oh my gosh, while I was cooking the apples in the sauce the whole house smelt like heaven and Christmas. I was drooling and couldn't WAIT to eat it. The filling sauce ingredients I used were ground clove, ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, pure vanilla extract , freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey, a dash of maple syrup, and a bit of coconut oil. This sauce is great on ice cream, desserts and even pancakes! Mmm apple cinnamon pancakes. Oh gosh, I just love food. :)
We took the pie to grandma and grandpa's house to bake it and eat it. And we ate the WHOLE pie! The crust was more like a cookie then a traditional white pie crust. But it was so good with the apples. My husband dispises cooked fruit and he loved this and said that I converted him over to a cooked fruit lover. That put an extra large smile on my face.
COMFORTING SPICED APPLE PIE WITH AN ALMOND OAT CRUST
This pie is perfect for this time of year, when the rain is falling and the wind is blowing sideways. Plus apples are in season right now. Grab your nice cozy blanket and get comfy and dig into a piece of this warm pie. Enjoy! If you don't want to make the lattice on top, I highly recommend cutting the crust recipe in half, OR you could make two 8" pie bases.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 Tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. celtic sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 organic egg or 1 flax egg - 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed & 2 Tbsp filtered water, mix and let thicken in the fridge for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground clove
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
What to do
1. Grab a large bowl and add all of the dry crust ingredients. Stir. Grab another bowl and add wet crust ingredients and whisk. Combine all ingredients and stir until you have a moist dough consistency. Knead dough for 1 minute.
2. Separate the dough in half. Roll into two balls. Use 1 ball for pie base and the other for the lattice strips (or into two bases if your making two pies without the lattice top). Roll the dough between two layers of parchment paper until 3mm thick. Roll it into a circle or square shape. Place 8" pie dish on dough and flip together. Carefully take dough off parchment paper. Cut dough around the edge of the dish. Keep parchment paper for rolling the lattice dough. Add excess dough to the second ball and roll as thin as the first. Roll the dough into a rectangle, then cut 6 long strips. Mine were around an inch wide. Put parchment paper, with the lattice strips, on a cookie sheet. Place pie base and lattice strips in the fridge while you start the filling.
3. For the filling - Peel, core and chop apples. Then add all the sauce ingredients to a large frying pan and heat on the lowest heat. Add apples and cook on low heat, covered for 15-20 minutes, or until soft. Let cool 10 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Take pie crust and strips out of the fridge. Fill pie with apples, and save the sauce for ice cream, yogurt or pancakes. Next add strips to the pie. Weave the strips in and out. (My strips broke in a couple places but I was able to fix them.) Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 20 minutes on the middle rack.
5. Once 20 minutes have passed, take pie out of the oven and let sit on the counter to cool for 10 minutes. Serve hot! For an extra treat, serve with vanilla coconut milk ice cream, coconut milk whip cream or coconut milk yogurt. Can you tell I don't eat dairy (lol).
Grandma giving us onions from the garden & Kyri exploring with daddy