I'm so happy Friday is finally here! It's been a crazy spring break day, chasing after kids, cleaning the house and making desserts and treats for my girls night tonight. We are going to go over cookbook do's and don'ts. Pet peeves, favourite recipes, those kinds of things to help me with my proposal. I am so excited and privileged to have such great friends and family. I can trust that together we will come up with great ideas for a awesome cookbook. Their impute means so much and I am excited to see what we come up with tonight. It's not easy preparing with three kids home but I'm doing my best.
This is my raw chocolate cake with a walnut date crust. The cake is made out of coconut meat, cacao powder, honey, and cashews and was put in the freezer. I hope the girls like it. Fingers crossed. Cookbook contender?
Raw Chocolate Cake
Hallelujah!A decedent cake to serve at all your fancy parties.
Prepare ahead - Soak 1 cup raw cashews, covered in filtered water, for 4 hours
- Remove pits and soak dates, covered in filtered water, for 20 minutes
· 8 medjool dates, pitted and soaked
· 1 1/2 cup raw walnuts (use any nuts you prefer)
· 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
· 1 tsp. unpasteurized honey or clear unpasteurized agave nectar
· ¼ cup shredded coconut
· 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
· 1/4 cup cacao powder
· 3 Tbsp. unpasteurized honey or clear unpasteurized agave nectar
· 1 cup coconut meat, if previously frozen – thawed and now at room temp
· 1/2 cup homemade almond milk
· 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Chocolate sauce (optional)
· 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
· ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
· 1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1. Crust - Line an 8 or 9 " cheesecake pan base with parchment paper. Blend walnuts, melted coconut oil, dates, sweetener and shredded coconut in a food processor and add to the cheesecake pan. Use the back of a spoon and press down firmly.
2. In a high speed blender add all the cake ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture into the cheesecake pan and place into the freezer. Cover and freeze for 4 hours.
3. Before you are ready to serve the cake, take it out of the freezer and let thaw for 10 minute. Meanwhile melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips in a pan on the lowest heat. Stir. Cut the cake. Add chopped walnut to each piece and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Notes - Cacao powder is a raw powder and has more nutritional benefits then cocoa powder. Cocoa powder has been roasted and is not raw. Check ingredients when buying cocoa powder. You maybe surprised.
I always buy unpasteurized local honey. Unpasteurized honey is raw and still has it's nutritional benefits. Pasteurized honey isn't healthy at all and acts just like refined sugar to the body. Local honey helps prevent allergies as well.
Don't forget to follow me!