Who doesn't enjoy Mexican food?
But let's try it raw this time.
Process some walnuts, blend some cashews, chop some veggies and there you have it! A quick and easy raw taco salad. This can be your side salad with dinner or your main course. You could even make tacos with the ingredients.
A meat eater could honestly be fooled that this is real meat. We only eat grass fed bison MAYBE once a month. It seems to be less and less as the time goes by. I just find that my tummy is NOT happy when I eat it.
We aren't fully vegan because of these two things:
- organic unsalted butter is healthy (it is the only dairy we eat) and
- cod liver oil is good for your whole body and is a must for your brain! DHA and EPA!
... we think that eating a vegan diet is a very healthy life style (if you eat right). Vegans that eat McDonalds french fries and Pringles....are not healthy vegans. We eat a plant based vegan diet 98% of the time.
And let me tell you I feel great. I have tons of energy, to work out and to play with the kids, to cook and bake (as you can see) and I don't need as much sleep as I used too, which is amazing because I was boarder line anaemic before I was healthy.
Bringing a new salad to the table is always a huge accomplishment for me. We usually have the same salad every night. Mixed greens, veggies and my honey garlic vinaigrette (I'll post that recipe soon) is our go-to salad. Our dinner time salad isn't just a SIDE salad either. It's a whole plate of greens! Then we eat another plate of dinner. We love our veggies.
Raw Taco Salad
This is a healthier version of the traditional taco salad, with the sour 'cream' and taco 'meat' to go along with it. It's full of veggies, nuts and spices for an amazing flavor. This salad will make you wish every night was Mexican night.
"Anyone could be fooled that this is real ground beef." – Dinner guest
Prepare ahead - Soak raw cashews, covered in filtered water, for 4 hours
- Soak sundried tomatoes, covered in filtered water, for 1 hour
· 1/2 cup raw walnuts
· 2 sundried tomatoes, soaked
· 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
· 2 tsp. taco seasoning (look for seasoning without added sugar, salt or powdered milk)
· dash of celtic sea salt, ground
· 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
· 1/4 cup filtered water (more if needed)
· 1/3 lemon, squeezed
· 1 tsp. unpasteurized honey
· ½ - 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning, to taste
· half a head lettuce, ripped
· 1 avocado, cubed
· 10 sprouts
· 1 small tomato, chopped or 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Other options you can add are salsa, guacamole, green onion, diced red pepper, and nutritional yeast.
1. Soak sundried tomatoes and cashews separately. Rinse well. Add all of the taco meat ingredients to a food processor and blend until it start to gather on sides. Place into a bowl and set aside.
2. Add all of the sour cream ingredients to a high speed blender and blend, until smooth. You may need to add more water. It should be a sour cream consistency. Place into a bowl. Cover and place into the fridge.
3. Cut veggies and add to three bowls. Top with 'meat' and sour 'cream' and serve.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. My son loved the taco 'meat' so much that he kept asking for more. We had it for left overs the next night too. SOOO GOOD!
START FOLLOWING ME:
RECIPES: To view all of my recipes please go here.
PINTEREST: My name is Mandy Dugas. You can copy my Url from here too and pin them.
FACEBOOK: Mandy's Tips For Everyday Health. Don't forget to 'like' it!
EMAIL: Shoot me a message! Mandio_19@hotmail.com
INSTAGRAM: My instagram handle is Mandydugas19