I know it's over a month away but I want to prepare early. Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday. I love Christmas too but Thanksgiving is a bit calmer. My mom always hosts the dinner in the big house I grew up in. We always have over my Aunt, Uncle, grandparents on both sides, Tod's parents, my parents, our kids (are the only kids), Tod and I, my brother, my sister, and sometimes my cousins. I just found out that we might be having 2 more aunts and 2 more uncles, all of their kids and 2 of my parents friends as well. Now that's a big dinner!
Last year I prepared all vegan dishes to bring to my parents for Thanksgiving. My sister is vegan and she is my inspiration. Tod, the kids and I are flexitarians. If you want to more about flexitarians click here. We eat organic, grass-fed bison once a month and fresh caught salmon once a month. So most of our meals are vegan. We don't eat very many eggs (maybe once every two months) and the only 'dairy' product we have in our home is organic unsalted butter, which we only use for popcorn.
I am very excited to search the web for new recipes this fall. I am making a cook book of all my favourite healthy recipes that I have used since we have been married. All of the Thanksgiving recipes will be in that cook book. Check out some other great recipes here.
Dishes for dinner:
- Turkey - now obviously this isn't a vegan option but I'm trying to accommodate non vegan eaters as well. We will be getting a grass-fed organic turkey.
- Turkey Gravy
- Roasted Veggies - usually consisting of sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower with coconut oil and rosemary
- Vegan Stuffing - even better then non vegan stuffing
- Normal Stuffing - mom does this one
- A Rice or Millet Dish with Vegan Gravy - usually a mushroom gravy, probably make this one
- Pickled Beans, Carrots, Beets
- Salads - mixed veggie salad and my moms special salad with spinach, roasted pine nuts, feta and onion with a vinaigrette
- Buns - Oma always brings her home made buns
- Dessert - I made an awesome vegan berry pie and chocolate cake. My mom usually bakes a pumpkin and lemon meringue pie
- Mashed or Whole Potatoes
- and I usually bring an Appetiser of some sort
What I need to do:
- Research recipes
- Print out recipes
- Make a grocery list
- Shop the day before the dinner
- Start baking the evening before
- Start cooking the morning of Thanksgiving
Ready set ...GO!