Home » » CACAO BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

CACAO BLACK BEAN BROWNIES


There has always been apart of me that was a tad bit turned off by the sound of black bean brownies.

It wasn't until I had tried one that they totally revolutionised the way I look at brownies! Holy, They don't need to be made with flour? That's radical! So I came home and made some. It's so cool that I didn't have to use any flour and they had the same consistency.

BLOWS MY MIND!


I added a middle layer of walnuts, which is totally optional but I recommend it! I love me some walnuts in my brownies.

This is a blender recipe so it's pretty easy! I used an 8 x 8 pan lined with parchment paper. I poured in half of the batter, then added walnuts. Then I poured on the last half of the batter and  poured it on top of the walnuts, smoothed it out and placed carob chips on top and baked it. Feel free to use chocolate chips.


I baked it in the oven for 45 minutes. The timing was perfect. Remember not to open your oven until the 45 minute mark (the heat will escape and the brownies won't bake evenly). Turn on the light it you need to check up on your brownies. After the timer goes off check with a tooth pick and make sure it comes out clean. If it's still wet add 5 - 10 more minutes. Let sit in the dish for 10 minutes then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling.


Once the brownie has cooled cut them into squares and eat! They would be awesome served with coconut milk whip cream too!! Enjoy!!


CACAO BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
So I finally decided to try a black bean brownie recipe. It's super chocolately and our three kids all gave it two thumbs up and asked for more. They had no idea it was any different then a regular brownie. Score! Thanks for inspiring me Erickia!
Makes 9-12 squares

Ingredients

  • 1 - 796ml large can of black beans, rinsed well
  • 6 free run organic eggs
  • 1/2 cup cacao powder (or cocoa powder *see note)
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. unpasteurized honey
  • 6 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. celtic sea salt, ground

  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup raw walnuts
  • 1/2 cup carob or chocolate chips


1. Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C).

2. Place all of these ingredients in your high speed blender (except walnuts) and blend until smooth.

3. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper. I cut the corners so it fits in nicely.

4. Pour in half of your batter. Smooth out. Sprinkle walnuts on top. Pour on remaining half of the batter. Smooth out. Sprinkle chips on top. Place in the oven on the middle rack for 45 minutes.

5. Once the timer goes off stick a tooth pick in the cake to make sure it's fully baked. The tooth pick should come out clean, with no wet batter on it. If it is wet add 5 - 10 more minutes.

6. Place dish on the counter (on a hot plate or on the stove) to let cool for 10 minutes before adding it to a cooling rack to let finish cooling.

7. Cut into 9 - 12 pieces and serve.

*Note on cocoa powder - Make sure your cocoa only has cocoa as the ingredient. Some brands add milk ingredients, salts, preservatives, and refined sugars. Some may also contain traces of wheat (lots of cross contamination going on).