Hey friends! Looking for a recipe that is hearty, thick and filling? CHOWDER is the name and making you satisfied is it's game. (Did I actually just say that?)
You know what this soup reminds me of? New England Clam Chowder! Like the Chunky Soup brand version! ...gosh I haven't eaten that stuff in years (now that I can cook!)
This is my husbands favourite soup. It's free of gluten, refined sugar, and dairy. It's vegan and is made from scratch. It's super easy to make too.
I love making croutons at home. No, sadly I don't make the bread from scratch (one day) but that's what makes this recipe so easy. Just cut your favourite bread into bite sized cubes, coat in coconut oil and your favourite seasoning and bake.
I was excited to make this soup because we have been eating so many summer recipes lately that I was missing the comfort food! This hit the spot, perfectly!
This recipes uses 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, which is totally optional, but I love the cheesy flavour it gives this soup.
I hope you all give this soup a go!
Carrot Sweet Potato Chowder with Homemade Croutons
This is our family’s favourite soup. I make it once a week. It’s creamy and filling, always hitting the spot. Sometimes I use toasted pumpkin seeds instead of croutons. This is a great soup to freeze as well.
Prepare ahead - Soak raw cashews, covered in filtered water, for 4 hours
· 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
· 3 Tbsp. filtered water
· 1/2 medium red onion, diced
· 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
· 3 large carrots, sliced
· 8 cups vegetable broth, low sodium (2 box cartons)
· 3 Tbsp. of your favourite seasoning. I used Mrs. Dash
· 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
· 1/4 cup potato starch
· 6 loaves of your favourite bread, cut into cubes
· 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
· 1 Tbsp. of your favourite seasoning, again I used Mrs. Dash
1. Soak the raw cashews, covered in filtered water, for 4 hours.
2. Croutons - Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Melt coconut oil in a pan, add bread cubes, cover in seasoning and stir. Pour coated bread cubes onto a cookie sheet and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20 minutes. Setting the timer for 5 minute intervals to stir until golden brown. Let croutons cool before using.
3. Soup - In a large frying pan, over medium/low heat, add 3 Tbsp. filtered water. Add diced red onion, cubed sweet potatoes, and sliced carrots. Stir every 3 minutes until soft, around 20 minutes.
4. While the onion, potatoes, and carrots are frying, in a large pot add 4 cups (1 carton) of the vegetable broth and turn up to medium heat.
5. Add 2 cups vegetable broth, rinsed cashews, nutritional yeast and 3 Tbsp. of your favourite seasoning to your high speed blender and blend until smooth. Pour into large pot with broth and stir well. Add cooked potatoes, onion and carrots. Stir.
6. In a bowl, add 1/4 cup potato starch and 1 cup vegetable broth. Stir well.
7. Pour remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth into the large pot. Now this part is important. The broth should be at medium heat. Pour the stirred bowl of starch and broth into the large soup pot. Turn the heat up to high. Grab a whisk and stir constantly until the soup boils. As soon as it boils, turn off the heat, move pot off heat and continue to stir until soup is no longer boiling. This processes will help soup thicken and become pure creamy goodness.
8. Serve soup into bowls, top with fresh homemade croutons, top with a bit of ground celtic sea salt, diced red onion, nutritional yeast...you name it! Serve hot & enjoy!
Optional veggies to add in:
- Sweet corn cut off the cob
- Cauliflower florets
- Diced red pepper
- Peas from the pod