This recipe was created out of pure excitement! I had a vision and I was going for it. Mmm with pancakes in mind of course. I love using maple syrup as a sweetener. And of course who doesn't love dark chocolate. I used my home made ice cream for this recipe that I used previously in my ice cream parfait recipe. I apologise for the awful lighting in that post. I really need to get some umbrella lights for food photos!
I hope this inspires you to think of your own healthy recipes to create at home. Just let loose and have fun with your food. Then sit back and take it all in...then devour it like my hubby does, or you can savour every bite like I do!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
A playful treat you will enjoy. This elegant little dessert will put a smile on everyone's face. It is simply a thin pancake cut in two rectangular pieces, drizzled with chocolate and layered with banana coconut milk ice cream, homemade of course and garnished with shredded coconut. Enjoy!
Makes 5 sandwiches
Prepare ahead - Place 1 can of coconut milk in the fridge the day before
· 1 can coconut milk, full fat
· 1 banana
· 2-3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
· 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
· 1/2 cup brown rice flour
· 1/2 cup oat flour
· 1 tsp. baking powder
· 1/2 Tbsp. potato starch
· 1 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage or homemade almond milk
· 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
· 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
· 1 banana
· coconut oil, for frying
· 1 tsp. coconut oil
· 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
· shredded coconut
1. Ice cream - Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the cream at the top and place it into a high speed blender (save the water at the bottom for a smoothie). Add banana and maple syrup and blend on high until smooth. Pour into a freezer safe bowl. Cover and freezer. Wash blender, put aside.
2. Pancakes - Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add wet ingredients to a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
3. Melt 1 tsp. coconut oil in a medium sized frying pan on low/medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons full of batter to the hot frying pan and spread batter around to form a large thin pancake, about 4-5 inches in diameter. Fry 5 minutes on both sides, until golden.
4. Place finished pancake on a plate covered in paper towel.
6. When pancake has cooled. Cut in half. Cut both sides into rectangles, see picture. Set aside.
7. Do step 4, 5 and 6 over until all the batter is gone.
8. Place all the rectangle pieces on a large piece of parchment paper.
9. Melt chocolate drizzle ingredients in a small pan and melt on low heat and stir. Drizzle chocolate over rectangle pancake pieces and let dry.
10. Take ice cream out of the fridge and make sure it has slightly hardened. Then layer pancake, ice cream, pan cake, ice cream...as tall as you like. I made my sandwiches with three rectangles each.
11. Garnish with shredded coconut and serve cold.
I am adding this one to my cookbook!