Again, this is one of those random creations I thought up while feeding Kyri. Maybe I was just destined to create desserts and have babies! haha
I hope you like this one. It reminded me of Christmas a bit. Hazelnut always does.
Hazelnut Cream Squares
This dessert is a holiday ice cream cake. The roasted hazelnuts give the creamy dessert an extra boost of flavour, perfect to please any company you plan to feed.
Makes 9 Squares
Prepare ahead - Place 1 can of coconut milk in the fridge the day before
- Remove pits and soak dates, covered in filtered water, for 20 minutes
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
· 1 cup raw walnuts
· 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
· 1/4 cup shredded coconut
· 8 dates, pits removed and soaked
· 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 400ml. can coconut milk, full fat – cream only
- 3/4 of a 250g jar of hazelnut butter
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. unpasteurized honey or clear unpasteurized agave nectar
1. Preheat oven to 400° F (205° C). Topping - Chop hazelnuts. Add to a cookie sheet. Bake for 4 minutes. As soon as you smell them they are done. Let hazelnuts cool. Roll hazelnut pieces in your hands to remove the skins, discard skins. Add oats, maple syrup and hazelnuts to a bowl and stir. Set topping layer aside.
2. For the base - Add raw walnuts to a food processor and blend until ground. Blend dates and coconut oil in a high speed blender and blend until a paste forms. Add ground walnuts, date paste, shredded coconut and oats to a bowl and mix well.Pour into a square 8 X 8 baking dish lined with parchment paper. Push down firmly with the back of a spoon until it is even. Cover and freeze.
3. Cream center - Melt coconut oil in a large pan on the lowest heat. Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the cream at the top (save the water for a shake) and add it to the pan, along with the hazelnut butter, vanilla extract, and liquid sweetener. Let ingredients melt and stir to combine. Pour on top of base. Cover. Freeze 1 hour. Sprinkle on topping. Freeze 2 hours. After remove squares by lifting the parchment paper. Peel paper back from the edges and cut into 9 equal pieces. Serve cold.