Today was a very exciting, long awaited day! Kyri had her first birthday party today! It was better then I could have imagined. We had friends and family and we invited our new neighbours. They have two little sweet daughters, a cat, a guinea pig and a dog named Diamond! We are very excited to get to know their family.
Kyri had her first cooked food. It was her cake of course. It was made with almond flour, honey, coconut oil, eggs and a couple more little ingredients. She loved it!!! Her little feets were movin' and a grovin'! She got so many clothes and books, toys, markers, a drawing pad, cards, a beautiful necklace to teeth on, a tutu and matching head band, and a sleepy sack. GO KYRI!
She had her two best buds over Finley and Emma! I'm so glad the three of them got to play and have fun for a couple hours. There were toys and wrapping paper everywhere!!
We had snacks, iced tea and cake. It all went so smoothly and Kyri was such an angel. She waved good bye to our friends as they left and then she played happily by herself for a bit while mommy made pasta and salad for dinner. We had a nice long bath together and I sang happy birthday to her on repeat. My eyes filled with tears and it finally hit me. My little baby girl as turned 1 years old and I am so in love with her. Every moment of this year has brought me nothing but absolute pure happiness. Thank you my sweet Kiwi.
I have been writing a journey to Kyrsten since I was 2 months pregnant. I want to give it to her for a gift when she is much much older. Maybe a wedding gift. I've added pictures and stories, songs and short notes.
I made goodie bags for our friends and family to take home. Inside I included a bag of popcorn, some butter free for those who can't have dairy, strawberry banana fruit leather and granola bars.
Makes 16 bars
- 1 cup raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups oats, gluten free
- 4 tsp. raw almond butter
- 1/2 cup unpasteurized local honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 3 tsp. coconut oil
What to do:
1. Soak raw almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a bowl of filtered water for 5 hours or over night.
2. Soak oats in 2 cups of water for 5 hours or over night
3. Warm a large pan on low heat until it is warm. Take off heat. Add honey, vanilla and almond butter. Stir well.
4. Drain nuts and seeds and rinse well. Add to honey, vanilla and almond butter mixture and stir.
5. Add the soaked oats and 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the pan and stir.
6. Line a large lasagna dish with parchment paper. Add nut mixture to the dish, on top of the parchment paper. Level out with a spoon.
7. Place dish into dehydrator or freezer. Dehydrate on 110 degrees for 3 days, flipping after 2 days or freeze for 3 hours. Freezing will leave the granola bars soft but they will taste delish, must eat frozen. Dehydrator will leave bars firm and crunchy. 3 days was worth the wait for us!
8. Melt the other 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 3 tsp. coconut oil in a small pan on low heat. Drizzle melted chocolate on the top of your finished granola bar. Cut into bars and serve. Store in an air tight bag and keep in the freezer if you froze them. Store in an air tight bag and store in the fridge or cupboard if you dehydrated them.